Pizza Chena, or Pizza Chiena, generally pronounced “Pizza Gaina,” is a southern Italian savory “pie” made with a wide range of cheese, chilly cuts, and eggs baked inside a bread crust. There are lots of completely different recipes for this conventional Italian specialty, however that is the one I choose. You possibly can mess around with the fillings as you see match and use your personal favourite chilly cuts or cheeses, and even add some grilled greens in case you like, although greens usually are not historically used.
This tasty pie is historically made on Good Friday to be eaten on Easter Sunday or to be taken on the normal Pasquetta, or Easter Monday picnic and is made to have fun the top of lent. The pie will be made in a 15 x 13-inch rectangular baking dish or in a 10-inch springform pan, and although I choose it served at room temperature on it’s personal, you could possibly supply some tomato sauce on the facet for dipping in case you choose. I used sliced meat and cheese, however you could possibly additionally use cubes of meat and cheese as a substitute of the slices. If you wish to simplify issues much more, you could possibly even purchase pre-made pizza dough rather than making your personal. I hadn’t made this Easter specialty for years, and after making it this 12 months I remembered how scrumptious it truly is and I plan on making it via the summer season to pack for picnics. Pizza Chena travels nice, and sized slice is an entire meal!
Deborah Mele Revised 2021
- 1 Tablespoon Energetic Dry Yeast
- 2 half of Cups Heat Water
- 5 to six Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- 3/four Pound Sliced Recent Mozzarella
- 1 half of Kilos Sliced Chilly Cuts Of Selection – Select Three Varieties (I used Soppressata, pepperoni, and ham)
- half of Pound Sliced Cheese (I used Provolone, however Swiss, Gruyere, or Asiago all work properly)
- 2 Roasted Pink Peppers Minimize Into Strips
- 6 Massive Eggs
- half of Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/Three Cup Chopped Recent Parsley
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Egg Overwhelmed With 1 Teaspoon Water
- In a big bowl combine the yeast and1 cup of water and let sit till bubbly.
- Add the remaining water and blend.
- Place 5 cups of the flour right into a mound on a counter with the salt, and make a properly within the heart.
- Add the water and yeast combination into the properly together with 1 teaspoon of oil and blend with a fork till a sticky dough kinds.
- Knead by hand till the dough is clean, including extra flour as wanted.
- Flippantly oil a big bowl with the remaining oil and place the dough within the bowl turning it to frivolously cowl with oil to stop sticking.
- Cowl the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a heat spot in your kitchen till the dough has doubled in dimension.
- Preheat the oven to 375 levels F. and frivolously oil a 10 inch tart pan with detachable backside, or a 10 inch spring-form pan.
- Divide the dough in half, and roll out one ball to a circle not less than two inches wider than your pan.
- Match the dough into the pan, pulling up alongside the edges.
- Layer the sliced meats, cheeses, and crimson pepper within the pan.
- In a small bowl, beat collectively the eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt & pepper, then pour this over the meats and cheeses.
- Roll out the opposite half of the dough, then use it to cowl the pie, sealing the sides by pinching the underside and prime items collectively, chopping off any extra.
- Brush the highest of the pie with the egg wash, then bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or till puffed and golden brown.
- Cool, take away from the baking pan and serve in slices.