I used to be out for brunch with my household lately, and we stopped off at an area grocery retailer on our method residence. All I wanted had been oranges and lemons, however in fact, I ended up with 4 baggage filled with groceries! There was an ideal sale on produce, and bell peppers had been on sale for lower than a greenback every. I couldn’t assist myself, and earlier than I knew it, I had a dozen massive peppers in my grocery cart.
As soon as I arrived residence, I knew that I must discover a method to make use of my pepper bounty as quickly as potential. Ultimately, I settled on this conventional dish of peppers gently stewed in tomatoes. This “pepper stew” is gorgeous with grilled or roasted meats or as an addition to an antipasti desk. I even take pleasure in a scoop of those peppers alongside some creamy cheese and crusty Italian bread for lunch or a lightweight dinner. Since I like a little bit of spice, I add one or two sizzling peppers into the combo of candy peppers however be happy to go away them out for those who want. Relying on my temper, I’ll add different greens resembling mushrooms and celery, however I at all times begin out with the essential recipe under. This dish freezes effectively, so I put half my completed pepper dish within the freezer to take pleasure in over the vacations.
Deborah Mele Revised 2020
- four to five Combined Crimson and Yellow Peppers
- 2 Scorching Banana Peppers (Elective)
- 6 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1 (14 oz.) Can Chopped Tomatoes
- Contemporary Chopped Parsley
- half Cup Chopped Pitted Kalamata Olives (Elective)
- Wash and dry all the peppers.
- Lower off the tops, and reduce in half, eradicating seeds and membranes and slice into 1 inch strips.
- Slice the onion into skinny slices, and reduce these slices into quarters.
- Warmth the olive oil in a big, heavy pan, and add the onions, garlic and peppers.
- Prepare dinner for about 10 minutes on medium warmth, stirring often, till each the onions and peppers have softened and brought on some shade.
- Add the tomatoes, and scale back warmth to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper and prepare dinner for a further 30 to 40 minutes, including a bit water if the combination appears to be drying out an excessive amount of.
- Add the parsley and olives, and prepare dinner a further 5 minutes.
- Style as soon as extra, and modify seasonings if wanted.
- Place combination right into a platter, and permit to return to room temperature.
Serving Measurement: 2 cups
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 151Complete Fats: 14gSaturated Fats: 2gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 11gLdl cholesterol: 0mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g