Late winter, simply earlier than spring arrives, Myer lemons arrive in our shops. Myer lemons are a singular number of citrus which are regarded as a cross between lemons and mandarin oranges. Myer lemons are smoother than common lemons with a deep yellow pores and skin and pulp. Though Myer lemons are barely acidic, they don’t have the identical tartness of normal lemons. I’m a sucker for something lemon flavored, and once I noticed my first bag of Myer lemons within the retailer this yr, I had to purchase them.
Lemon loaf is certainly one of my favourite sweets, so I made a decision to make use of my Myer lemons to bake a lemon poppy seed fast bread. Yogurt and oil are used on this recipe creating a really moist bread. Though I don’t usually glaze my muffins or loaves, I assumed a shiny citrus flavored glaze would convey this dessert to a brand new degree. When baking something lemon flavored, I like to make use of Fiori di Sicilia from King Arthur Flour. This extract is a flowery mix of lemon and vanilla. If you don’t select to make use of Fiori di Sicilia you should use half a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and half of a teaspoon of lemon extract.
Deborah Mele Revised 2021
- 1 half Cups All-purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- half Teaspoon Salt
- 1 half Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt
- half Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia (See Notes Above)
- Three Giant Eggs At Room Temperature
- 1 Giant Myer Lemon, Zested And Juiced
- 2 Tablespoons Poppy Seeds
- 3/four Cup Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 levels F.
- Spray an eight x four inch loaf pan with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir collectively the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a second bowl, use an electrical hand mixer to mix the sugar, yogurt, oil, extract, and eggs.
- Add half the lemon juice together with the zest and blend till blended.
- Pour the dry components into the moist and stir along with a wood spoon till the flour combination has been included.
- Stir within the poppy seeds.
- Bake the loaf for 45 to 50 minutes, or till a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out cleanly.
- Cool for 10 minutes then take away from the pan and funky fully.
- To make the glaze, place the powdered sugar in a small bowl, and drizzle within the remaining lemon juice, whisking repeatedly till you attain your required thickness.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled loaf and let sit till set.